Click on certain conditions learn more. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to give us a call.
ADHD is a common medical condition that affects both children and adults. It can cause them to have difficulty functioning in their every-day lives. The following symptoms lasting for at least six months, and occurring in more than one setting (home, school, work, or in social situations) may indicate ADHD:
- Inattentiveness, impulsivity, and/or hyperactivity
- Appears not be listening when spoken to
- Difficulty multi-tasking, easily distracted
- Poor organizational skills, forgetfulness, often loses things
- Fidgets with or taps hands and feet, difficulty sitting still
- Appears to be “driven by a motor”, always on-the-go
- Frequently interrupts or intrudes upon others, talks excessively
Although medication in often used to treat ADHD, there are many other tools for treating, and teaching people how to manage their ADHD, including Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), academic coaching, and Parent Education/Support.
Autism Spectrum Disorder is a neurodevelopmental disorder that affects individuals in widely varying degree and is demonstrated in a wide range of symptoms. The symptoms fall into three categories:
- Communication – Delayed speech, mild to severe communication disorders, completely unable to communicate
- Socialization – Delayed social development, lack of eye-contact, lack of interest in social connection with others
- Motor behavior – Compulsive or ritualistic actions, preoccupation with objects or parts of objects, heightened sensitivity to touch, smell, auditory or visual stimuli
Symptoms can range from mild, almost undetectable to severe and profound. A person must have symptoms in all three categories, and the symptoms must have started in early life for a person to be diagnosed with Autism. However, not every person with Autism will present with all of these symptoms. Each person with Autism is unique.
Psychological testing can be done to diagnose Autism. There are many therapies that can help individuals with Autism to lead more productive and satisfying lives, including psychotherapy, social skills training, and therapies specifically designed to treat Autism.
Depression may be diagnosed if you've experienced any of the following symptoms of depression for at least two weeks:
- Feeling "blah" or "down in the dumps"
- Worthlessness, hopelessness, guilty feelings
- Sadness, tearfulness
- Not caring, lack of enjoyment in activities
- Being withdrawn, isolated
- Irritableness, angry outburst
- Body aches, fatigue
- Inability to concentrate, forgetfulness
- Negative thoughts, increased worry
- Any changes in sleep or appetite
Depression is treatable. At Psychology Specialists we can help you manage your symptoms utilizing different therapeutic techniques. Cognitive Behavioral therapy (CBT) is very effective in treating depression. You will learn how to control your emotions and to be more aware of your thought patterns.
Psychology Specialists offers a team of providers dedicated to the practice of Health Psychology. Utilizing a variety of treatment modalities, we provide services to help manage:
- Chronic Pain
- Chronic Stress due to a medical condition
- Adjustment Disorder due to Chronic Illness or Sports related injury
- Anxiety and Depression related to Medical Disorders
- Family Dynamics related to Health Conditions
- Health Habit Counseling
The techniques and psychophysiological interventions used include:
- Individual Pain Management Consultation
- Pre-surgical Evaluation
- Psychological Pain Evaluation
- Substance Abuse Evaluation
- Relaxation Skills Training
- Health Habit Evaluation
We know our patients are best served by a multidisciplinary approach to heatlh care, so our clinicians will also coordinate care with other providers involved in the treatment process. Our comprehensive approach allows us to help develop the most beneficial treatment recommendations to promote interpersonal, emotional and physical wellness.
At Psychology Specialists we will work with you to manage/help you recover from your addiction. We will help you to break through denial, develop behavioral self-control, and improve your coping skills and self-esteem. We will support you in gaining control over your life and living free from addiction.
**Some services may not be offered at all locations